Wednesday, June 4, 2014

TO Homeschool or NOT to Homeschool...is that really the question?

I understand this is a hot topic button. And there are many emotions that run deep.  But let's take a step back and look at the root of the conflict.  Insecurity.
C'mon, we all have them. I have them. Many. And I know that we all compare ourselves, sometimes subconsciously. 

My inner dialog goes something like this: 
"See, she is a mom but she still has time to paint her nails. You don't paint your nails. What is wrong with you? Sure, yea...whatever...you do lots of other things...but who cares if your nails aren't painted?!  Why is her house so clean? Your house is NEVER this clean. Wait, she homeschools? Un.believable. You should never have become a parent. In fact, they should make you take a test before you have children to make sure you know what you are doing. Well, it's a good thing they don't have a test... Because you would fail it."

Sound ridiculous? Oh, it is!  I've thought these and many similar things often.  

I have learned and empathized with the fact that we all have them. And give others the benefit of the doubt. I think what upsets and saddens me the most is that grown adults treat each other so savagely, but usually with an air of passive aggressiveness. Trying to sneak in verbal (or non-verbal) "jabs" to make someone else feel bad about their life or decisions. Why does this happen? Insecurity.

Let me say I have never homeschooled a day in my life. But I am a homeschool mom. I read somewhere that you have to call yourself something before anyone else will. After a very stubborn, prayerful, antacid-filled process (3 years to be exact) I have come to a place that I have peace about doing it.  But for the 4 years prior, was peace-filled about public school. 

Peace. It's a beautiful thing. If you can live your life following what gives you peace. I don't believe you can go wrong. 

So what am I saying...Homeschooling is perfect. Um...no. I'm saying, do what you have peace to do. Do what is right for your family. Private school. Public school. Homeschool. There is no right or wrong. So let's stop treating each other like there is.

Maybe you have a friend that has a newborn baby and decides homeschooling is best for them. Great. Perhaps a stay-at-home mom has to go back to work full time to provide for her family and her kids need to go to public school. Wonderful. Your in-laws tell you they would love to fund your child's private school education. Fantastic. 

Let's err on the side of love. No judgement. No comparisons. Just a bunch of imperfect people following peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment