Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Jack of No Trades, Master of None


Ever read a article, post, book or watch a movie and think to yourself... I'm going to do that.

Yes, next week I'm going to join a gym. 

I'm going to start eating healthy. In fact, I'm going to empty my pantry of all processed foods and start over.    
I'm going to go back to school and rediscover my passion for (fill in the blank).

And then the next day comes... You stayed up late watching a movie because you had to wait until Monkeys went to bed. Waking up early to pick up a heavy bar above your head doesn't sound so great now. 
You're hungry. Where are those chips??  Oh, right... 
It's going to cost how much money to finish my degree?!?!

Then you know what happens...nothing. I have been there. MAN, have I been there!! 

I blame movies. I mean it can't possibly be our fault, right?! The Movie Montage is the downfall of our culture. 
Here is the definition:
"a technique in film editing in which a series of short shots are edited into a sequence to condense space, time, and information."

The Movie Montage was created in the 80's. (guess what decade I grew up in?)
The first movie to have it? Rocky.
Sylvester Stallone is a flabby, out of shape bruiser, working miserably as hired muscle. Then he gets this incredible opportunity that is going to completely change his life. Then...the music starts. Eye of the Tiger. In the span of a 4 minute and 10 second song, Rocky is transformed into a powerful boxing champion. He drinks a couple eggs, chases a few chickens and before we know if, he runs up a bunch of stairs and is READY to take on the world.

So what do I do? I put my earbuds in and head to the gym. Then, 4 minutes and 10 seconds later I'm done. Right?
Oh...
So, what do you mean I will have to hit the gym 3x week and change my diet to have the body I want in a...did you say year?!
It's going to take how long to grow a garden full of healthy food for my family to eat?!
I'm going to have to devote how much time to studying?!

Here's what I'm getting at. We expect too much too quickly. I want to find a few things I am really passionate about and then give it my all. My all is sometimes terrible. Sometimes nothing. But I'm not going to give up.

Try this: Start going to the gym 2x (Or 1x!)week and start slow. Cut out ONE unhealthy kind of food in your house if you want to purge your family of processed foods. Then, when everyone has found a new balance: cut out ONE more thing. Go to the library and check out a few books on the subject your passionate about and study them like you are in school. Take your time. Enjoy it.

Don't try to do so much you feel like you've failed.

And if you need to play a little Eye of the Tiger in the background for motivation~ You'll find no judgement here!!


No comments:

Post a Comment